Subject: Motion for Second Reading of Certain Housekeeping Amendments from GS 2016 A030-R1a
Moved By: Chancellor David P. Jones, Q.C.
Seconded By: Canon Dr. Randall Fairey
Be it resolved that this General Synod:
Give Second Reading to the following:
1. Amend Section 11 c) ii) of the Declaration of Principles to read as follows:
All other Canons may be approved or amended by a two-thirds majority of each Order voting separately.
2. Amend Canon XVIII to add:
6 iii) The National Indigenous Anglican Bishop,
3. Amend Canon XX to add the words shown in bold:
A. in section 3 i), adding the words shown in bold:
If any member of the court dies, or declines to act or becomes incapable of doing so, or develops an interest in the case, or changes Order due to ordination or relinquishment or abandonment of ordained ministry, or if a bishop ceases to hold episcopal office as aforesaid, before the hearing is commenced, the vacancy shall be filled in the same way. If the vacancy occurs after the hearing has commenced the remaining members of the court may continue the hearing and give judgment or in their discretion direct that a new court be appointed and the hearing recommenced.
B. in section 4 a), adding the words shown in bold:
The other assessors shall be provincial or diocesan chancellors, or persons learned in Canon Law, appointed in the same manner as members of the court.
C. in section 10 a), changing the words shown in bold:
Before delivering judgment on a question of doctrine, the Supreme Court shall refer the question to the members of the Order of Bishops and ask for the individual written opinion of each such bishop on the question and shall consider the opinions of the bishops who reply to the request within two months after the making of the reference in reaching its decision.
Source: Governance Working Group
Submitted By: Governance Working Group
Does this motion contain within it any financial implications? Yes No
If yes, has the General Synod Expenditures Committee considered the implications? Yes No
General Synod 2016 passed Resolution A030-R1a which contained certain housekeeping amendments to the Declaration of Principles and to Canons dealing with doctrine, worship or discipline:
- An amendment to Section 11 c) ii) of the Declaration of Principles to remove the last vestige of clergy and laity voting together (the old Lower House) with the bishops voting separately (the old Upper House). The amendment would provide for each Order to vote separately for the enactment or amendment of canons which do not deal with doctrine, worship or discipline. If passed, there would be only two modes of voting: either General Synod as a whole, or by Orders (with differing thresholds depending upon the issue–the proposed amendment does not change the threshold). If this motion were presented at the beginning of General Synod 2019, it would be in effect for the remainder of General Synod 2019.
- An amendment to include the National Indigenous Anglican Bishop in section 6 of Canon XVIII (the discipline canon).
- An amendment to clarify three provisions in Canon XX (The Supreme Court of Appeal).
PROCEDURE FOR ADOPTION (D)
Section 11 c) i) of the Declaration of Principles requires the enactment or amendment of all canons dealing with doctrine, worship or discipline to be passed by a two-thirds majority of each Order voting at two successive sessions of General Synod.
Note: This type of resolution must also be referred to all diocesan and provincial synods for information (not consent) after first approval by General Synod.